Friday 18 January 2013

English Baccalaureate = no creativity taught in schools

Right peeps, trying to rally the troops for this one. Some of you may not know that I spent 4yrs at University training to be a Primary Teacher, whilst teaching was not for me I do still take an interest (every now and then) in what is happening with the curriculum and our schools. This evening I learned of the Governments plans to abolish GCSE's and replace them with the English Baccalaureate which offers no creative subjects. This made me rather cross so I wrote to my local MP. I have included my letter below and I urge you all to please sign the petition which you can access here - http://www.baccforthefuture.com/sign-the-petition.html

Dear Lillian Greenwood

I have recently read of the Governments plans to introduce the English Baccalaureate as a replacement for GCSE's. Having attended a school where the International Baccalaureate was offered as an alternative to A-Levels I can appreciate the benefits of the Baccalaureate however I do have concerns about making it compulsory.

The lack of creative studies offered in the English Baccalaureate is a major concern. Whilst studying for my degree in Studies in Primary Education I chose to write my dissertation on the benefits of the arts within education. This study took me to a number of schools around Nottingham and the benefits were instantly visible. One particular moment that sticks with me was a drama lesson with a group of 6 year olds living in St Ann's. They were told that the focus of the session was for them to act out a scenario about something that worries them. The way in which the children expressed their concerns about social issues affecting the area was incredible and it was clear that the opportunity to express these concerns was of a great benefit to them. Without this opportunity there was a fear held by myself and staff that the children would not learn the vital skills needed to express themselves and would eventually therefore take to using their fists as so many members of society do nowadays.

To remove less practical subjects from the curriculum would lead to further deterioration of confidence in those less academic. There has been a recent drive to offer apprenticeships and more practical topics within schools and colleges but this proposition contradicts these suggestions massively. I know of a number of older teenagers who struggled at school but are now thriving in apprenticeships and finding a huge amount of confidence through this process. Given something to focus on and enjoy has provided these young people with a determination they have not before known which is steering them away from fecklessness and towards responsibility.

On a more personal note, I suffer greatly with anxiety. I ease this daily through various creative activities that I have learnt throughout my own education and followed on privately. I fear that to remove these opportunities from the curriculum would prevent people from learning to work through their emotions in a constructive and positive way.

As it stands at the moment, the EBacc places significant pressure on schools to focus on just five ‘pillars’ of study: maths, English, sciences, languages (including Ancient Greek and Latin) and humanities (defined as just history and geography). These are important, but the omission of creative subjects threatens a broad and balanced education (the International Baccalaureate for example includes a sixth creative pillar). Please could you raise these concerns with the Secretary of State for Education and - if the EBacc reforms do go ahead - secure the place of creative industry relevant subjects in a sixth pillar of study such as ‘art and design, dance, drama, design technology, film studies and music.’ This is what the Government’s own Henley Review recommended.


Yours sincerely,
Lynsey Hall

No comments:

Post a Comment