Sunday 26 January 2014

My first attempt at yarn dyeing.

Today I sat knitting away with a major craving to crochet, with no projects currently on the go I raided my work box and basket full of untouched beautiful yarn.  I decided to use some hand dyed 4ply from Truly Hooked to make a shawl.  I scoured Ravelry but just kept coming back to Elise so I got my hook out and got started.  


Isn't it gorgeous!  I then got to thinking how nice it would look with a solid purple edge on it.  My internal monologue went something like this.

I haven't got any.
Could I dye some of my leftovers?
No they're all acrylic.
Hang on I had some cream cashsoft 4ply somewhere I won't ever use.
Here it is.
How do you dye yarn anyway?
I've got some food colouring I think that does it.
Better check Pinterest.
Tad ah!

I found this great tutorial for how to easily dye yarn at home with a bit of food colouring.  If you're thinking of trying it I recommend this method for small batches.



Oh the excitement!  I had to make this ball into a hank, I decided to just wrap it around my hand and elbow like an extension cord, a good little workout.


Then I had to soak it in water and white vinegar.  I didn't have white vinegar so it was cider vinegar.  Vinegar is vinegar at the end of the day, I'm not sure I would have used balsamic though.


After half an hour I tipped away the water, put the wet yarn on a tea towel and mixed the food colouring in with some fresh water.


Then I sank the yarn into the water.  At this point I thought I had possibly used too much food colouring but being a novice and wanted a dark purple I left it as it was.


I gave it a little stir around but not too much.


Then it went in the microwave.  I had to microwave it for three minutes, let it stand for five and microwave again for three until the water became clear.  This was when I knew I had out too much dye in because the water would not become clear just a pale shade of blue.  I accepted this was as near as damn it so ended the endless microwaving there.  I was becoming quite concerned the yarn would just fall apart.


Despite instructions not to I took it out of the microwave to have a look at my creation but then it went back to cool away from straying cat paws.

Once it was cool it came out of the water received a little squeeze and it is now hanging in my bathroom drying.


I love the way the colour is so uneven, it is quite clear I have done it myself and I am also pleased the yarn maintained its structural integrity!


I can't wait to use it and I certainly will be doing this again!




No comments:

Post a Comment