Monday 9 September 2013

One mans trash is another mans treasure.

Here is a project I undertook recently.  With having the lounge redecorated I decided a standard lamp would like lovely in the corner.  I looked around and they all seem terribly expensive so I decided to tke on a challenge and restore a tatty one.  I started by advertising in freecycle and after less than 12hrs had a message from a lovely chap who had one in his garage.  Once it was home we had to rewire it which I must admit was left to Tom, that was done in no time.  Then it was down to me to get to work.  Having been so busy it took a while to find the time but lastnight I got sanding and before I knew it I had sanded and painted the whole thing.

I started by sanding as much of the varnish off as I could, it was very thick!  Next I slapped on two coats of matt effect gloss and left it to try.  Then I took to it with the sand paper again and buffed the parts that would receive natural wear and tear.  

I'm not sure I am 100% happy with the lamp shade but I will give myself time to think about it.  They to are very expensive, or maybe I am just tight fisted.

Anyway, here it is, my transformed lamp.


2 comments:

  1. Fabulous idea! Really brought this up to date, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankyou, I'm really pleased with it.

    ReplyDelete