Monday 23 September 2013

I have fallen in love with Wales!

This weekend we went to Wales with a couple of friends.  When we were looking to book we wanted a remote cottage where we could spend our evenings relaxing after visiting places in the day time.  The best place ever was found and it literally could not have been any better.  We stayed in a cottage called Maes Gwyn which was located in the middle of a number of sheep fields and up a very long steep hill.  The view was absolutely incredible!!


When we arrived on the Friday we stayed at the cottage exploring the fields around, playing some games and generally relaxing.  Out of all the sheep in the fields there was just one who had been shorn, I think the farmer must have needed a new jumper.

 
I took the opportunity to spend some time finishing a project as the plan for me was to take small packable projects I have been meaning to finish for a while.  Here is my completed Rowan Pure Wool Granny Cowl, only felt right to take a picture with the sheep in the background.  Some might think that is just mean.



The first morning we woke up the mist through the valleys was incredibly impressive, it could be seen at times circling and rising into the sky to form a cloud.  We enjoyed a coffee outside before deciding we would head to Barmouth to visit the Atlantic Ocean.  This photograph may look a bit odd but it is a full 360* panoramic view from where I was stood.


Barmouth was a lovely little town but not dissimilar from most other seaside towns.  We had a wander around and after getting quite soaked in the mist we headed back to the cottage to dry out in front of the fire whilst enjoying a civilised cheese board.

Tom and I then went for a wander to say hello to a few more sheep and take some more photographs of the incredible location we were staying in.



 You can just make out the roof of our cottage in this photograph.  The view was beautiful.

 I managed to knock up a pair of hand warmers made using Noro Furin and Rowan Cashsoft 4ply, I love how they have turned out.


For tea we headed to the local pub The Eagles, due to the remoteness we were a bit concerned it would be a local pub for local people but we couldn't have been any more wrong.  We received a warm welcome and felt right at home.  I loved to hear all the locals speaking Welsh, it's great that the language is still being used and it really added to our holiday feel.  The food was wonderful, I had a steak and it might just be the best Steak I have ever eaten.  I of course had to try the local tipple.




From here the evening became a little less civilised and we started to play drinking Uno, I can honestly say I do not recommend this game to anyone ever!!!

After waking up feeling as though I had risen from the grave I was coaxed into the car for a trip to Harlech.  The journey wasn't much fun but it was most definitely worth it.  The main reason for the visit to Harlech was to see the castle, such an impressive structure and remarkably intact.


We explored the castle as much as our legs would let us, there were a lot of stairs that were not the kindest.  We started by climbing a windy, dark and damp stair case to get to the highest point of the castle.  The Mountains looked beautiful in the distance.

 
These stairs were particularly hairy but I made it to the top, heights are not something I am great at so I was quite impressed.


It was certainly worth it!



I particularly loved how the light shone through the windows and doors and framed the views over the bay. 





We all absolutely loved the Castle and who couldn't when it looks like this!


After leaving the Castle we popped into a local art sale and just fell in love with art by a local artist called Jayne McCormack.  We deliberated between a number of stunning paintings but decided to settle on one of the Welsh landscape which we had both fallen in love with so much.  The blue also caught our eyes as it is perfect for our recently decorated lounge.  I have to say it looks stunning hanging on the wall, this photograph does not do it justice.


From here we went for a well earned cup of tea and some Welsh Cakes, I do love Welsh cakes, yum yum yum! We stopped at The Cemlyn Tea Shop and the tea was served in brilliant little tea pots with an inbuilt strainer that sits in the centre.  We had a chat with the owner of the tea house and learnt a lot about tea.  Apparently in China a tea is brewed 4 times, the first is for washing feet, the second for friends, the third for family and the fourth and best is for yourself.


On the way home from Harlech we stopped by the estuary to photograph yet more stunning scenery.  I cannot begin to explain how exciting the Welsh landscape is, I just never knew Wales was so stunning!


I just loved this house on the left, when we drove past I noted just how immaculate it was.  Somebody loves it as much as I would if it were mine.


When we returned to the cottage we played more games and I took some time to work on the sock I have been knitting for what feels like forever, I do actually think I have been knitting it forever.  Anyway, i finished it but forgot how to kitchener stitch so had to leave the needles in until I got home today.  Here it is nearly complete, I just need to knit it's sibling now!


Sadly this morning we had to say goodbye to our little slice of Wales.  We had to be out of the Cottage by 10 so it was an early start, a big breakfast and into the car we got.  I just had to snap one last photograph of the view.


I can honestly say I was blown away by what Wales has to offer, I just feel so excited to have such a wonderful place not so far away.  We will most definitely be going back to explore more.

No comments:

Post a Comment