Sunday 2 February 2014

Patchwork, my latest addiction.

Yesterday I went to sewing group at the lovely Steph's house and this was the time for me to start my quilt.  I checked before hand that there would be room for me and my machine and when I arrived I promptly got set up.

Having cut up all my squares the other day I decided that I would put them all together randomly in strips to start off with.  The only way I could do this was to reach into my bag, pull out a square and stitch it on.

  
The first two I stitched together looked good, I made a point of showing everybody there because this is my first ever sewing project and it is just so exciting.


I carried on until I had made my first strip and what a pretty strip it is, look at the lovely new door it is hanging on aswell.


I made the strip 18 squares long, the width of a double bed with a little overhang.  I planned to make the quilt square so calculated how many squares I would need and can you believe that 247 is not enough!  I then started looking at eBay but Steph kindly offered a bag of samples she no longer wants.  Yet more excitement.  These are the ones that came home with me.


I cut these up and had over another 200 to add to my quilt.  These fabrics are a lot more vibrant which is just what I wanted.  Lovely.

Between shopping, soup making, biscuit baking and lasagne cooking I have been stitching away.  Tom also chose the fabrics from the bag for two strips.  I have currently got 11 complete strips but there are only 9 in the photo below because I took it earlier.


When I laid them on the bed I purposefully laid them the wrong way so I could gauge whether 18 squares tall was suitable.  It is far too long for the bed so I am now aiming for 14 strips tall.  

I'm so excited to finish it but I suspect there are some trials and tribulations ahead.


No comments:

Post a Comment