Sunday 9 February 2014

Disaster!

Last year I started knitting an sweater with Opium yarn.  It's funny stuff that is thick and thin but is generally very attractive.  It's not the easiest yarn to knit with but it looks good when knitted together, kind of like a lazy lace.

Anyway, like I said I started some time ago.  I found the pattern really boring and it ended up in a bag untouched for months.  I decided that before I allowed myself to cast on anything else this year I would finish it. When I picked it up again I remembered why I had put it away but I carried on, convincing myself the finished object would be lovely.

Sadly I don't think that now that it is finished.  I can't say why but I just don't like it, possibly frustration more than anything, sewing it up is a nightmare! 

I had to adjust the sleeves as the pattern asked for them to be knitted in 1 by 1 rib in their entirety, I don't think so! Anyway, I finished them and stitched them on and it didn't blooming fit.

I think my error with this project was right back at the start when I got distracted by how nice the ball of yarn looked.  I didn't think about the finished item and where it would sit in my wardrobe along side by style, or lack of.

I'm not getting upset about it though as I am sure I can sew it up and give it to someone who will love it, and fit it.  I have to say I have learnt a lot about myself and my knitting preferences to prevent things like this from happening in the future.

1. I am not a novice knitter anymore and I need a pattern to keep me entertained.
2. Don't get distracted by the yarn, think about the finished object.
3. Use a tape measure!

The sweater is now in a carrier bag to be put away until I decide to sew it up, I might fall in love with it if I ever finish it.


My packing it away I have allowed myself to cast on my next project, this is definitely suited to my clothing style and my knitting style, so exciting.




No comments:

Post a Comment