Thursday 20 June 2013

Peter Cushion

Last Saturday I was sat chatting to Eleanor when I spotted a reduced ball of Cygnet Grousemoor Chunky.  The colour was just perfect for my lounge (when it is finished) so I thought I would have it, despite being on a strict no more yarn diet.

I had in mind a little cushion that was in the loft with a cover made of what used to be this top.  This photo is at least 7yrs old now...wow!

                                                

Anyway...this did not go in any room so it was time to revamp it to use again so I got started.

        

I had to look up the gauge for the yarn which was 12 stitches for every 4" on 5-5.5mm needles.  From here I surmised I would need to cast on approximately 40 on 6mm needles.  I probably should have cast on 45 to be honest though.  

Once I had cast on I decided on a cable pattern.  I split the 40 stitches up into 2 blocks of 10 at the edge and a block of 20 in the middle and decided on smaller cable two to the fronts on the edges and a larger cable five to the back in the centre.  Then I knitted until I had almost run out.

It was a bit of a squeeze to fit the cushion in, the cover is pulled quite tight however I quite like this effect...more than I thought I would...because it pulls out the cables and makes the cushion feel very sturdy.

And here it is.

      

I put my scissors in to give some perspective as one ball certainly wouldn't make a big cushion.

As for the name, a colleague suggested I name my cushion Peter after the actor Peter Cushing so I did.
 
        

No comments:

Post a Comment